Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A day in and around the Mediterranean

As I type this blog entry I am trying my best to find a comfortable position to sit in that won't cause any additional pain to the massive sunburn on my back.  As it turns out, I drastically underestimated the power of the sun during some of this week's activities.
After class and a lecture at the university on Monday, our class took a much needed break in the action to go sailing Tuesday morning. We arrived at the marina at 8 that morning and after an extremely brief introductory lesson headed out to the docks to hop on our respective boats. I had previously done some sailing in a boat of similar size and shape to the ones we used and could not have been more excited for the day ahead. Though there was little to no wind when we first raised our sails, once we exited the bay area we started in the winds picked up and our boat stated to really cruise. We set our destination to be just past the cliffs surrounding Cagliari and headed off. I spent almost this entire time laying down on the boat's deck relaxing with my shirt off, assisting in the occasional sailing duty. Made it around the cove and were exposed to an amazing view of  Cagliari from the sea, a nice reversal of the usual view from the city. After turning around we stopped at another crystal clear cove that is a popular swimming destination. We dropped anchor and immediately dove in. I put on a snorkel and goggles and my mind was blown by how I could see clear to the 20ish foot or so deep sea floor, along with dozens of fish swirling about. It was incredible to be able to see fish swimming around just a few feet below you while you're right there in the water with them. It even temps you to just reach out and grab one, which as it turns out is much more difficult than it looks. We reluctantly got out of the water eventually and hoisted our sails yet again.
About half an hour into our return journey I experienced what was by far the closest call I have ever had on a boat before. While we were under sail (giving us the nautical right of way) another appeared to be veering directly onto our course. This is a common occurrence, only requiring a slight readjustment by the other boat to change course and clear way way for us. As we began to get within 30-40 feet of the boat it became clear that its captain was not turning. From the front of our boat where I was standing we could spot one man on the entire ship, standing away from his ship's wheel and not controlling its direction. As we were turning our boat as sharply as possible to avoid any contact as the distance closed, it appeared that a collision was inevitable. I stood up from the seat and braced for impact. The other boat narrowly skidded by us, with less than a foot between its sides and our bow.  Given how fast the distance between our two crafts was closing, I was honestly extremely surprised in that moment that we didn't have a full on collision. In the end no one was hurt and we laughed the whole thing off.
After sailing we spent the remainder of the day relaxing on the beach directly next to the harbor. The water was shallow and warm, perfect for casual swimming and relaxing. After jumping into the Mediterranean a few more times I laid down on my towel and took in some rays. A few too many rays as it would turn out. Upon leaving the beach that day my entire backside, along with my legs and feet were lobster red. Though it would certainly leave me in some discomfort for days to come, sunburn is a small price to pay the incredible day I had. 

1 comment:

  1. Seeing and experiencing the way all these things are having an arrangement west coast bus tours of usa can be kept in a reasonable manner because that's the way we can moving ahead on all the levels.

    ReplyDelete